The mission of the Livestock and Agriculture Working Group is to guide and coordinate activities of members in the sector as a means of improving the overall food security for the benefit of the Kenyan people.
Rapid/disaster response planning and coordination
- To actively participate in supporting the early warning and response system of the GoK
- Participate fully in district and national level assessments and support the collection and analysis of information from other sources in the event of emergency situations arising.
- Develop plans and appeal materials, including identified needs, projects and costings, in order to respond in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Input as required concerning the utilisation of contingency funds for rapid response.
- Coordinate emergency/humanitarian projects and activities in the Livestock and Agriculture sector
- Monitor projects implementation
Capacity Building of GOK and national NGOS and CBOs
- Support capacity building of district level assessment capability, especially by Ministry of Ag riculture and Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development personnel
- Work with GOK and NGO/CBO partners in the field to provide guidance and expertise such that projects and activities are implemented optimally.
- Support capacity building on CBOs
- Support capacity building on frontline staff working with ministry of agriculture, Livestock and NGOs
Contingency planning and preparedness
- Participate in the development of contingency planning tools at the national and district levels.
- Work with partners to implement and coordinate the implementation of contingency plans within the sector.
Promoting long-term food security
- Participate in the development of tools for better understanding long-term trends in food insecurity and for identifying chronically food insecure populations
- Promote the development of strategies, linked to existing GoK policy, that address chronic food insecurity.
- Work to develop and coordinate strategies within the Millenium Development Goal One (poverty reduction and the eradication of hunger/Njaa Murufuku Kenya)
Secretarial Functions and Reporting
- Call regular meetings of all members
- Produce high quality and accurate minutes for circulation at the KFSSG/KFSM
- Keep an archive of all relevant information and documentation
- Ensure that guidance and technical information is properly recorded, reproduced, disseminated and stored.
Planning and Monitoring Functions
- Develop a comprehensive strategy and annual work plan
- Monitor the implementation of the annual work plan
- Monitor follow up on key sector issues raised in the WG and KFSM
- Provide a succinct verbal and written progress brief for the KFSSG/KFSM
- Undertake joint monitoring and evaluation of WG projects